Re: sec input impedance

HI Jan,
        The easiest way to determine Zbase for your coil is to
measure it. The result will depend on the coil's proximity to its
surroundings among other things.  For a discussion of the finer
points, I recommend you read literature available at:

 http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/

On 30 Jul 01, at 16:41, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> Hi,
>
> after quite some pause, I finally got around to carry on with my solid
> state TC project.
>
> My question now: how do you calculate the TC secondary input/base
> impedance, for an unloaded seconday coil? Ok measuring some arbitary
> coils might be easy, but I'd like to get the height&diameter&turns
> values so I could make a coil of driver matching impedance, without
> trial and error.

Yes, but what happens when the sparks start flying? Remember, for a
1/4 wave transformer, Zo = SQRT(Zbase * Ztop).  When a discharge
occurs, Ztop drops to a degree which depends on the discharge current
and output voltage under loaded conditions and as a result, Zbase
rises considerably. You might think of the values swinging about Zo^2.
     Others building solid state drivers have found out about this
phenomenon (to their cost on occasions).

> To get the simplest estimate of the input impedance, is it just the AC
> resistance of the coil?

No.

> I've some tables with AWG# vs. AC/DC resistance ratios. My thinking is
> that 1) calculate dimensions for wanted f_res with given wire AWG#, 2)
> calculate DC resistance from total wire length, 3) calculate AC
> resistance with help of table. Ok the table is valid only for straigt
> conductors, but any ideas if the calculated value is still "in range"
> (+-10%?) of actual AC resistance? Anyone done this before or know if
> this is totally wrong?

The AC resistance of the coil is a dissipative value. An ideal
transformer dissipates no power. Therefore, you are interested in the
transformation ratio when looking for a matching impedance.

Regards,
Malcolm