Re: Triggered gap and safety gaps

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > At our local Tesla meeting yesterday, we tried this dimmer, capacitor, and
> > coil circuit (I never have before).  I had a MOV across the AC Line but it
> > all really seemed very tame.  We made a nice little Jacob's ladder with it.
> >  The ignition coil seemed to heat up pretty quickly with 10 and 20 uF so
> > maybe there is some work to be done there.  I need to get the Pearson 411
> > and the Tek5100 on the AC line to see what kind of messyness is really
> > going on, but I was surprised that it seemed to work so smoothly.  MOVs and
> > a good line filter should catch anything in any case.  I would, however,
> > worry if the primary cap were to decide to discharge backward into the
> > thing.  Having 5 Joules track backwards through the coil and dimmer may be
> > nasty, but one should be able to stop it from getting out on the AC line
> > fairly easily.  More testing needs to be done.   Working on it ;-))
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >         Terry
>
> Terry:
>
>         Have you looked at the peak line current when you are running the
> dimmer?  I have and it can be as much as 20 amps with a 6 ufd
> capacitor.  Also, 10 to 20 ufd seems like an awfully high capacitance
> and not surprised it makes things get hot.
>
> Ed

ed, terry, all
i am running a 2uf capacitor, not 12uf. sorry for this typo?
i will look at the line current, but i cannot believe it approaches
anything over 2 amp because my system draws 28 amp and it is through an
adjustable siemens thermal trip breaker, 30 amp DOES trip it very quick!
i have put a scope probe on the each side of the line and didn't see
voltage spikes that upset me greatly, there was some trash, but nothing
to get excited about. placing two turns of the line through a ferrite
core "cleaned" this up nicely.
i was really hoping that more coilers with testing experience would try
the gap and see, but we are still in the "thinking about it" stage?
terry will have a working setup very soon, (you're the best terry) i'm
sure we will then "SEE"what is going on "in" the circuit, after all, he
has the "goodies" (place drool here).
marc m.