Re: Triggered gap and safety gaps

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Gary and all,

You are indeed correct - triggered gaps like fast risetime HV pulses for
best triggering action - adding inductance in the path will be
counterproductive. In the previously provided schematics, the HV Doorknob
capacitors provide appropriate low frequency isolation on BOTH sides of the
secondary of the trigger transformer while passing the fast trigger pulses
to the triggered gap. Personally, I'd use 40 kV doorknob caps or similar to
provide adequate voltage standoff.

Some other excellent sources for information on triggered gaps include C.
P. Clare (check out the High Energy Devices Section, and the paper "AN-135:
Use of Triggered Spark Gaps"). C. P. Clare's site is at:
http://www.clare-dot-com/home/home.nsf/products/

Another great source is the "Technical Brief on Spark Gaps" that's also on
the Perkin Elmer site. Discussion of the various modes of operation and
triggering circuitry are presented, along with some typical circuits.
Triggered vacuum gaps are also covered for the more adventurous.
http://opto.perkinelmer-dot-com/Downloads/switchtb.pdf

Finally, some of the best applications notes are at Marconi's site -
Marconi recently bought EEV, one of the premier suppliers of spark gaps and
vacuum tubes. There are two papers (called Spark Gap Preambles), one for
two electrode gaps, and the other for three electrode (triggered) gaps.
There's another a Preamble on thyratrons that's extremely good for those
looking at the possibilities of using thyratron switching.
http://www.marconitech-dot-com/sparkgap/2elec_sg.pdf
http://www.marconitech-dot-com/sparkgap/3elec_sg.pdf

Enjoy!

-- Bert --