Re: Trigger Gap Safety

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

ted,
i don't know if so much pessimism is need here, i have adjusted my
dimmer while the coil is running, after all, isn't that the idea?
CAN the hv spike get back through the limiting capacitor? if in doubt,
can't the case of the dimmer be grounded?
isn't this the same freak danger of adjusting a srsg on the fly with the
inductor\capacitor phase adjuster?
personally i believe that if the case of the auto coil is grounded and
the metal case of the dimmer is grounded with the supplied ground lead,
and the button is the only thing that is touched, i don't see much more
danger the coiling itself? you definitely do NOT want strangers
adjusting the phasing of the dimmer, but because the safety gaps will
fire madly, not because of the danger of life and limb. in all actuality
to safety, no one but you should have access to the controls other then
the "E-stop", am i not right?
i would worry about charged capacitors and primary strikes more the i
worry about kickback spikes, i've been using the triggered gap for
several months now and have yet seen any line problems.
of coarse a line filter could go in the leads from the dimmer to the
coil if in doubt. provide a path to ground that looks better then flesh
and bone and you will be safe.
does anyone know what the actual output voltage of a 12v auto coil
running on 120v would be?
has any coin crusher operators ever seen a hv kickback into the trigger
circuit? there are many, many, many more joules at hand in this
application, but it seems the hv would rather travel to and through the
primary then into the trigger circuit, maybe i'll setup a filter and
remove one primary lead to see how much damage is done by this?
i will be sending terry a triggered gap setup very soon, and knowing
terry as we all do, he will give us a very detailed page of test
results.
these are just MY opinions and i think all coilers should go by there
gut feeling on this, if scared or nervous, don't try it!
marc m.
geek #1055

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>