RE: 3 Questions - neutral vs grd

Original poster: "Tony Wick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tony-at-techelectric-dot-com>

Hi,

I'm new to the mailing list but just wanted to chime in on this.

> > For grounding the variac, attach the neutral wire from the
> service mains to
> > the variac housing. Attaching the neutral wire to any of A, B,
> C, D, E, F, G
> > will cause a short-circuit.

Never use a neutral (the white wire) as a grounding conductor.  This is a
code violation and can be extremely dangerous.  Return current can make its
way through the metal case of the "grounded" device and pass through the
building's ground.  Thus the variac in this case might not be at zero
potential (touch voltage present).

Tony Wick

Sussex, WI