Re: TSG update

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

John,
Are you seeing any erosion of your silver faces? The reason i went right
to carbide after first try is that the gaps arc looked discolored,
contaminated. (brass).  what is the air speed\voluum at your gap? would
a rotary of 120rpm give a non sputtering output?
I feel that as long as my arc is a true blue\white hot, then it is a
pure arc? It surprises me that at only 800 watts you are thinking it is
overpowered, I have pushed a steady 3000+ watt through carbide tips with
a very nice blue\white arc, the erratic operation at the extremes in
dimmer adjustment are either giving a "very" short burst of low voltage,
or a full voltage across the sine wave until zero crossing? first case:
not much to get it going, second case: not much time to remove ions.
Another question:
Are you using the lines voltage to the diac\triac pair after the variac?
Since as some that have talked with me at some events know, i do not
bring line voltage to my systems up with a variac. All my systems are
brought in with a contactor, even with my pt driven with 72v in a buck
condition, the contact slams 43 amps into the 300-1 pt and tank.
I have said before and very much agree that driving circuits can and are
being improved.
I have to ask here if anyone has calculated the air speed at the
electrode of a sync. rotary gap operating at 1800 rpm? could we expect
any other gap to performs as well at a lesser airspeed
I will put all other projects on hold and get a 5kva sustained,
triggered gap together to try to quell some of the doubts
Mr. Tebbs circuit looks very much like a must try for me and i thank him
for the work\time he has put into it for us all!
And, Has anyone looked for any jitter using a rotary? With lead in on
time and lead out on time, can 5kw run smooth at a sync. to line, 120bps
rotary?
Just questions, no insult intended.
Maybe the stsg just isn't for every coil design?

Marc M.