Re: Static Gap Spacing

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/3/01 4:17:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Hi,
> > I'm making a static gap out of 12 3" peices of 1" copper pipe all screwd
> into
> > lexon/lucite in a row and I'm wondering if there is a way to know how big
> > make the total gap width (i'm using a 15kv/30ma transformer) also how do I
> > know how big to set my safety gap? This is my first coil so a good
> > explanaition or reference to one would be a great help
> > Thank You
> > Erik Kettenburg
>

> Erik

,

I suggest setting each gap to .020" to .030".  You will only need to use 5 or 6
gaps for that transformer.  You set the safety gaps with only the transformer
connected to them - find the largest setting where the gaps will fire and then
increase the gap slightly from there a small amount.  If your main static gaps
are set to let's say .025" each and you use five of them then the total gap
spacing is .125".  Your safety gaps should be set wider than this, maybe about
.20" or .25".

Ed Sonderman