Re: Undesired "effect" with saltwater caps

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Chris,

It could be resonance rise, many years ago when I start to play
with tesla coil this list did not exist even web was not
invented. Often I end up with a resonant cap with my PS, in these
years I always use OBIT ( Oil Burner Ignition Transformer ) and
most of the time salt water caps If my memory is good the reso
size cap for a typical OBIT is around .0058 uF, with your 8
bottles you could be at resonance or less this way you end up
with really high voltage ( OBIT in my experience are surprisingly
resistant to over voltage I saw one depotted in a bath of oil
arcing madly inside the oil and it still working today ).

An other thing high voltage have strange behavior, I saw some
time current arcing 3 time the distance of a spark gap at other
place in the circuit; may be because of corona opening a channel
( be aware of sharp edge ) or if transient are present some time
you could have small region of your circuit with ultra high
voltage at high frequency.

Marry Christmas,

Luc Benard