Need info on Edwards Vacuum pump

Original poster: "Mike Harrison by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mike-at-whitewing.co.uk>

I just picked up an Edwards E2M5 2-stage vacuum pump at a hamfest
(UKP25 - I think that was a bargain!)

Does anyone have any info on this pump, and any general 'care and
feeding' type tips for someone like me whose knowledge of vacuum
systems is comparable to the amount of air in them?!
 How critical is the oil type - can I use compressor oil?

Is the vacuum created by this type of pump likely to be good for
plasma-sphere/crookes tube type effects and messing with low-pressure
argon?
Anyone know of any  'fun things' (HV or otherwise) to do with a vacuum
pump?