Re: Spark gap not firing

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/5/01 9:51:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > > Hi Michael,
> > > It sounds here as if you have the coil wired wrong. Connect the
> capacitor in
> > > parallel
> > > with the NST.
> >
> > This is not right. The RSG should be in parallel with the NST. The cap
> should
> > be in series with the primary. It will work as you suggested, but you will
> put
> > the transformer at risk. Having the cap parallel with the transformer will
> > cause the transformer to feel the full RF of each bang. By placing the RSG
> > parallel with the transformer, the RF seen at the transformer is greatly
> > reduced. I believe Greg L. stated the a reduction by a factor of 10:1.

Either configuration A or B should work:

+-RFC-+---C1---+  +-RFC-+--o o--+
    |     |        |          |     |  gap  |
Xfmr   C1      L1   Xfmr   o gap    L1
 |     |       |     |     o        |
 +-RFC-+-------+     |     |        |
                     +-RFC-+--------+

        (A)                  (B)

In configuration "A", since the capacitor is connected directly across the
transformer, when the capacitor discharge starts, there is high voltage at
high frequency across the capacitor and transformer = unhappy transformer
despite RFCs. In configuration "B", however, when the gap fires it is a
relatively low resistance in parallel with the transformer, so the
transformer "sees" low voltage from cap. When the gap stops firing, the gap
becomes a high resistance, but by this time most of the HF cap energy has
been dissipated into the secondary's corona discharge = happy transformer.

The setup shown below, which is an easy transposition mistake of "A", will
never work:

                  +-RFC---o o-+-+
                  |       gap | |
                 Xfmr        C1 L1