Re: Spark gap not firing

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Ralph, All,

Tesla list wrote:

> <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> In a message dated 2/4/01 1:45:26 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> << Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Hi Bart, Michael, All,
>
> Gentlemen, Gentlemen, please:
>
> We have here a prime example of the frailties of ASCII...it sucks!
> A simple diagram is all that is needed.
> I refer my myself and all interested to page 5-4 of John Couture's,
> Tesla Coil Construction Guide, and page 14 of Brent Turner's, Tesla Coil Book
>
> which has the same schematic.

This was an older method of connecting. Yes, it will work. But, it is not the
best connection method. The archives are full of discussions on this topic.

> The capacitor is in parallel with the NST. One side of the capacitor goes to
> the SG and to one side of the NST. The other side of the SG is connected to
> one side of the primary. The other side of the primary returns to the common
> side of the capacitor and the NST.
> Again: One side of the NST is connected to the capacitor and one side of the
> primary. The other side of the NST goes to the other side of the capacitor,
> and one
> end of the SG. The other end of the SG goes to the other side of the primary.

You have described a cap parallel to the NST (twice). But this circuit allows
full RF back at the transformer as previously stated. Both connection methods
are well known. See link to Terry's paper at bottom of this post.

> Bart, perhaps you are referring to the safety gap which is shown in John
> Couture's
> diagram. Perhaps Michael was referring to a safety gap, in which case I am
> the one who is confused...a not-at-all infrequent happening. I have never
> used
> a RSG. Is it connected any differently than a static SG?

Nope, I'm refering to the gap being placed across the NST. Here's a link to
another one of Terry's excellent papers on subject. Also, there is no
difference in connection between static or rsg.

 <http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/primarycircuits/pricir.html>h
ttp://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/primarycircuits/pricir.html

Take care,
Bart