Re: VTTC output

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

David Trimmell wrote:

>>  to drive it in A mode?
> Very little DC current would flow, around 10 to 20 mA.

David,

So, that's the way to go.

>> Where should I pick the modulated signal?
> Not to sure of what you mean.
- In order to *measure* the audio response you
would need a signal to scope it. As I've
connected a 5 Ohm resistor between the base of
the secondary and rf ground I could use the
voltage drop for measurements. Do you think
that's a good idea? Where did you pick a signal?

> Preliminary testing (low audio power untill I get the amp working
corectly) does verify that the spark has a
harder time reproducing low frequency
signals(<1000-500Hz) without distortion. This I
need to do more work on though...
- But you are far ahead as I'm about maxing out
the (unmodulated) output power still.

> just need a functional Audio Amp!
- It's on my shopping list.

> Really, one does not need a very big spark, to get decent Audio.
- For what audio output power should I aim
taking into consideration the output power of my
system?

> Herwig, do have Schematics of your VTTC?
- Unfortunately not in a form I could send to
you. But the circuit is easy to decribe (please
use fixed font):

plate----tank circuit----*----- + 10 kVdc

                    10 nF/20 kV

                       ground

screen grid------*------*-----*----- 0 to 2 kVdc
                 |      |     |
               spark  30 nF/ MOV
                gap   30 kV  1360 V
                 |      |     |
              ground ground ground

control--*-- 25 Ohm/--grid--*--mA--*-- to "bias"
grid     |   5 W      coil  |      |
         |                  |      |
        OV              30 kOhm/   |
         |              20 W       |
         |                  |      |
         a                  |      |
         D                  |    3.7 nF/
         |                 SW    5 kV
         |                  |      |
       ground            ground  ground

OVP = gasfilled over voltage protector
D   = fast 30 A diode
SW  = switch, normally closed
mA  = Ameter

"bias"--a diode--10 mH--30 kOhm-- 0 to - 1000 Vdc
                        /20 W

If you need further information, just drop me a
line.

Regards,

Herwig