Re: LTR Pig Project - Long Post!

Hi John,

I see Kevin's page at:

http://www.flash-dot-net/~kreld/newpage5.htm

His arc pictures imply that he is running significant power! :-)

I note he mentions 110 Amp at 300 volts into the transformer which is 33kVA.

I guess to really say much about this coil I would need a lot more data on it.

The RMS current through a given cap size and a givin constant firing
voltage is directly proportional to the break rate.  Obviously, if other
parameters change with the break rate, then all bets are off. :-)

Cheers,

	Terry

At 01:52 PM 2/18/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/17/01 4:27:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>writes:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>>  At 02:52 PM 2/16/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>  snip...
>>  > I would
>>  >say that one does not want to run a large degree of LTR in a pig
>>  >because you want a high voltage for better primary efficiency, and
>>  >you want to keep the power factor good.
>>
>>  LTR coils should still fire at the full rated transformer voltage.  You
>>  basically just keep loading up capacitance until you can't charge anymore C
>>  to the full firing voltage.
>
>Terry, all,
>
>I agree that the LTR coil will still fire at the rated xfrmer voltage, but
>I think a smaller cap may fire at a higher than rated xfrmer voltage
>because of resonant charging that can occur at certain ballast
snip...