Re: LTR Pig Project -biggg coil

Original poster: "Kevin R Eldredge by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>

All

  I just picked up on this post, and wanted to clarify several things
 that might help out.   LTR or not?  I won't guess, it works, and I'm
 happy.  (:D   The Biggg Coil project was a "everything new
from the start" project.   That is, all components involved were not
used on any other of my Coils, except for a contactor and fine
tune inductive ballast.  This made things a lot harder to find initial
problems, but thanks to John Freau for guiding me the right way
on the break rate.
  The whole project evolved around the purchase of two 0.376 uF
 cap's which are wired in series (0.188 uF approx).

  The only math involved was for basic resonance,ie..secondary,
primary, capacitor parameters.  Problems were many.  Initialy the
sync. Rotary was at 480 BPS.  This pulled 300+ amps from the
245 volt mains, and only 14' sparks.   Ballast adjustment made
no difference.  Removing gap electrodes for 240 BPS operation
made things better, current down, sparks longer, but still not right.
 Finally running 120 BPS, current came down to 110 amps, at
300 volts at the pig's, 24' sparks.  This was new, 300 volts AFTER
 the inductive ballast, 240 volts before the ballast.  I unfortunately
did not measure the actual 245 volt current into the control
cabinet, this Spring I will.

  As John stated, the external ballast gets real hot, smoking hot.
However, the ballast is a 15 kVA transformer with the secondary
shorted, so this creates most of the heat, the shorted winding.
 This too will be addressed this Spring with a new ballast.
 The internal switchable  ballast, runs only warm, it's simply
 #10 wire wound on a steel  torroid.

  The coil has been dormant this winter, but as weather warms,
the coil will be brought out to play again.   Simply getting things
to work was the goal last year, this Spring will bring a new
10 x 10 x 16' building to keep the Coil in a ready to fire state.
Also the rotory will be rebuilt with on the fly phase adjustment
to better tune while adjusting reactive ballast for maximum spark.
 An old tube scope is being modified to accept high voltages
directly to the CRT's deflection plates through a resistive divider.
This will allow more accurate P-P voltages in the Coil while
running....hopefully anyway.  Power factor correction may also be
tried depending on how things go.

  I'm open for suggestions on any improvements, or experiments
if anyone has any.

  snip...

Freezing in Oklahoma

Kevin E.