Re: VTTC output

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

> Ed Phillips wrote:
>
> > Only problem is how to get to that optimum tuning, particularly
> when dealing with a non-linear and reactive load.
>
> Ed,
>
> Trying to max out my system I connected a 5 Ohm resistor
> between the base of the secondary and rf ground. I scoped the
> voltage across this resistor and found it to be 20 Vpp at low input
> power levels.
>
> Increasing the input power real streamers started growing from the
> brush, resulting in about 40 Vpp across the resistor. From this
> value an effective current of about 2.5 A is calculated and I'm
> wondering when the AWG 26 will become hot.

	Probably won't get hot.  Your secondary has a lot of area and, when you
calculate the total dissipation and divide it by the area, you will find
the power density (watts/square inch, centimeter, or whatever) is quite
low and easily cooled by convection.

> Non-linearities and surprises all over!
>
> Regards,
>
> Herwig