Re: Preventing a REALLY expensive mistake.

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Hey Boss!

Matt! :)

>Back in my school days (before brother Noah and his ark) There was a HV Lab
>across  from the Engineering computer center. The "brain rooms" contained
>an
>IBM 7094, a 1620, and a new System-360.

he he he "NEW"

Just to be on the safe side, the
>brain rooms had metal screening behind the wallboard, above the drop
>ceiling,
>under the floor panels, and on the backs of the doors (there were no
>windows). this screening was all grounded. The HVEEs claimed that the
>reinforcing rods in the lab made the screening unnecessary, the CIS people
>were never convinced.
>Eventually, a new computer center was built and the HV lab abandoned.
>
>Matt D. G1-1085

Ok....several people have addressed wire in the walls, etc so I'm going to
see if I can pass/fail that one right now. I'm hoping I'm wrong....

Doesn't a Faraday cage only work if it's a COMPLETELY ENCLOSED room? I don't
mean airtight (but there is a specific maximum size hole for a given
frequency protection limit)?

And if I do spend the time/money in caging my High Voltage Lab, Computer
labs, or both the second I plug the computers in to the AC, Ethernet, or any
other antenna (wire) that passes outside the cage (into the wall or another
room) haven't I just defeated the cage?

If there is a way around the wire issue and a secure cage can be built. I
need a DEFINATE size maximum hole. Chicken wire is great, but the HOLES in
chicken wire vary considerably. I know the math Gods can help on this. :)

ok, on to the next one. Sorry to play Devils advocate guys, but I need to be
SURE on this one.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group