My PT is loud! (authors response)

Original poster: "Drew Murray by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <drewallmighty-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello,
Most of you have commented on the fact that my pt is running at almost 3
times the rated voltage. I would like to mention that while it is configured
as a jacobs ladder, the spark will race all of the way up to the top. The
tips of the copper tubing are around 5" apart. This is when i have it on
full power. My ballasts are configured to let maximum power flow to the PT
without tripping the 15 amp breaker down the hall. Don't forget that my 120
- 300v 35 lbs step up transformer doesn't let 15 amps go through it. I think
the 300v may have around 7 amps behind it. The current limitors lower this
number as well. The jacobs ladder is very loud, and the spark/flame looks
very powerful. All i am shooting for is a little more voltage, milliamps
will come later. I was told by a guy who serviced these things for a living
that it should run fine at 300v but he cautioned me to watch how much
current i give it, that is what will kill it.
                                                     Up here in Canada,
                                                      Drew Murray