Re: pig in overdrive...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/26/01 8:43:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> The insulation is probably good for substantially more (check the BIL rating
> on the nameplate).  What won't necessarily be good for more voltage is the
> core.  It might saturate.  You can probably run 10-20% overvoltage without
> any problem (i.e. 48 volts over the nominal 240, or 288V), but 20% is
> getting pretty near the edge

Hi All,
        A bit of "Far Eastern" wisdom (especially but not only for
beginners) that I brought with me to WVa. from Brooklyn,  NY:
        "If you can afford two identical balloons, then you can inflate one
to your heart's content and the next one a little less. If you can't afford
two, then buy the biggest one you can afford and be VERY careful about not
over-inflating it."
         Pushing the envelope is in the true pioneering spirit, as long as
you are willing and able to get replacement parts, or die trying. This also
goes for pole pigs, Variacs, and capacitors. It is why the power supply for
my next coil will have a 30-Amp Variac for a 15/210 NST farm rather than a
20-Amp Variac and why I will not run it at 200+V;  a 30 cost me less than two
(or more) 20s would.

For $0.02 plain,

Matt D.