RE: pig in overdrive...

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Scott,

 You can run 20kva out of a 10kva pig for a bit with no trouble (other than
a heavy draw on the mains).  A pig can typically run at 2x it's rating for a
*very* long time.  Other than my MOTS and wire-wrapped ballast smoking a bit
(okay, a mot caught fire).  But the pig should just grunt and take it.
They're built very tough and until the core saturates (as long as your
ballast don't saturate), then you'll just pop the breaker real quick. So if
you keep the current input sane (say 40A forever, 80A for quite awhile (much
longer than the caps or neighbors will stand), and 120-125A (about the most
I can pull on my breakers for ~3-4 sec at a time, 2 min in between runs) for
short tests.

 For feeding it 300v, bone up a bit on inductive kick charging.  Interesting
stuff to consider :)  II dunno how a pig will like gettin' 300v instead of
240, but I can't forsee any huge failure (I'd do it to my pig!), but beware
that there is a chance you'll sarcrifice the pig to the fire gods, so keep
that in mind!

 Hope it helps!
											Shad
ps, I no tranny or pig engineer, but sofar as I know, it's only limiting
factor on current it can process is saturation of your ballast and heat
generated in the pig.  And what you can get outta the mains *Safely!*!!