Re: Maggie help needed

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "michael.tucknott <michael.tucknott-at-virgin-dot-net>"

> Iv finished building our first magnifier coil it has 17 turns of 8 mm
> copper tube as a primary and the
> secondary is wound with 2.5sq mm insulated copper wire with about 100
> turns, the spacing between
> the primary and secondary is 45 mm. Around the outside of the secondary
> is 4 layers of 1 mm plastic
> sheet as added insulation.

I am trying to see if your magnifier can fit my "optimum magnifier"
design (http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html).
What are the exact diameter and height of the primary and secondary
coils? (More precision in the number of turns would help too).
What are the dimensions of the top loads?

> The extra coil (resonator) will be one of our old two coil secondary,
> Its 4" by 22" with about 800
> turns of 24awg magnet wire on. Iv added a small toroid to the top of the
> secondary coil for corona
> suppression and to help fix the transmission line too.
> Qustion:- Will this small toroid add to the total TopC and be a factor
> in the tuning process???.

If you want complete energy transfer, yes. It affects the capacitance
at the top of the secondary coil, and there are only a set of discrete
values that result in full energy transfer (see the 4rd equation below).
A good idea is to have a kind of tunable capacitance at this point.

> Qustion:- I plan to use 1" copper pipe for a transmission line to the
> resonator but how long should
>               I make this so the are no field effects???.

Not critical, I think. Just far enough to avoid sparks from the
terminal to the driver transformer.

> Qustion:- How far should the transmission line and resonator be above
> floor level???.

If the third coil is high above the ground, its self-capacitance is
reduced, and more energy can be transferred to the terminal.
This is one of the advantages of a magnifier, if explored.
Considering that the line goes from the terminal of L2 to the base of
L3, I would recommend as high as reasonable for your installation.
The "transmission line" here is electrically just a wire, with small
capacitance to ground (that adds to the capacitance at the top of L2).

> Thought and suggestions are most welcome, we hope to test this creation
> real soon.

I repost below the critical equations for an optimal magnifier:

1) L1*C1   = (L2+L3)*C3
2) L2/L3   = ((l*l-m*m)*(k*k-l*l))/(2*k*k*m*m)
3) k12*k12 = L2/(L2+L3)
4) C2/C3   = 2*l*l*l*l/((l*l-m*m)*(k*k-l*l))

L1, L2, and L3 are the three coils, C1 is the primary capacitor,
C3 the combination of the terminal capacitance with the self-
capacitance of L3, k12 the coupling coefficient of the driver
transformer (L1, L2), and C2 the total capacitance to ground
at the top of L2, that is difficult to evaluate.
The first equation is adjusted by tuning L1, as in a Tesla coil.
The second and the third are set by the physical design,
(This is why as asked for the dimensions of the coils), and the last is
satisfied by adjusting C2.
k, l, m (l=lowercase L) are three successive integers with odd
differences (as 5,6,7) and control the "mode", and the waveforms.
Total energy transfer occurs at the "l"th semicycle of the output
voltage.
It's advantageous to use a low "mode" (the best is 1,2,3) for fast
energy transfer (the other possible advantage of the magnifier), but
this may result in too high values for C2 and L2. Increasing m makes
C2 decrease but increases L2. Higher modes decrease L2, but result in
slower energy transfer (an greater losses).
If the three equations are not satisfied, some of the primary energy
never reaches the terminal.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz