Re: tesla coil

In a message dated 1/2/01 9:12:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I'm having a bit of a problem.  When winding the secondary, how do I keep
> the
>  coil from kinking? Or from accidently overlapping itself. it's not much of
>
>  technical question, but I know it will affect my coil's output.  How do I
>  keep the loops from sliding over themselves, and how to I keep the
secondary

>  taut when I'm not holding it?

ANT,

That's a good question.  First, place the spool into a holder, so it
can turn freely.  Or rig up a device which holds some tension on
the spool if needed.  Never let the wire go slack when winding.
Keep the wire a little taut.  PLace the secondary into a winding
jig.  just some screws into an end cap, etc. on both ends.  perhaps
a crank to turn it.  I like to use a gear motor with a foot pedal from
a junk sewing machine to control the speed.   Keep a piece of while
adhesive tape handy, and when you want to take a break from winding,
place the tape over the last part you wound to hold it in place.  If you
never let the wire go slack, or take your hand off the winding, the loops
will never slide around, it also won't overlap.   If you're using thin wire,
it's a little harder to guide the wire.  It's all in the angle that you hold
and guide the wire.  let the wire slip between your fingers with some
tension onto the form.  If you keep the correct angle, the turns will
add touching each other, without overlapping.  It takes some practice
I guess.

John Freau