Re: tesla coil

Original poster: "Tom Stathes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <newphreak_16-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>
>
> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <ANTarchimedes-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> > I'm having a bit of a problem.  When winding the
> secondary, how do I keep the
> > coil from kinking? Or from accidently overlapping
> itself. it's not much of a
> > technical question, but I know it will affect my
> coil's output.  How do I
> > keep the loops from sliding over themselves, and
> how to I keep the secondary
> > taut when I'm not holding it?
>
> 	IIR, we rigged a clampig drag opn the supply reel.
> Nothing
> 	elaborate, just a bolt and a wing nut thru the
> supply reel, so
> 	it did not spin freely.  That and care in winding.
> (We were
> 	working with the secondary in a jig (actually: a
> metal cutting
> 	lathe, with the power off.)  I can't picture tyring
> to freehand
> 	a seconday....
>
> 	best
> 	dwp

I can picture winding a secondary freehand, because i
did it twice #26 wire on 19in forms :^(   If u want to
try it, and i dont recomend it, wind about 10 turns
then put some scotch tape over them, wind 10 more then
tape.  Its realy not worth the troubleto freehand
wind, especialt if u can take some time to build a jig
of somesort and wind it all at once. One easy wya to
do it is to wedge a holesaw drill bit into the pvc i
did thisi with 2in pvc.  The bit then gets connected
to a drillheld in a small vice, and the other end was
helled up bu a screwdriver in a vice.  I set up
another small vice w/screwdriver to hold reel of wire.
 (I have a lot of vices.) I use a rubber band to hold
the wire to the pvc, and wound the frst few turns by
turning the pvc by hand, and keeping  tension on the
wire then start the drill as slow as it can go, and
keep gentil tension on the wire.  Increase the speed a
little but not to much, slow and steady, move the wire
as it winds up.  If it overlaps, stop the drill, keep
tension on the wire and turn the pvc by hand backwards
untill u correct the problem, then keep winding.
There should be no problem with kinking.  My wire
wasent so good (i "found" the real in shop class it
was low quaity wire) , so i couldnt wind the secondary
tightly.  Also WEAR GLOVES or u will slice up ur
hands.  There was a kink in the wire that took a chunk
of my thumb along with it into the secondary it took 3
months for the crater it left in my thumb to fil in.

--Tom