OT: interesting effect

Original poster: "jim fosse by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jfosse-at-home-dot-com>

Morning All,

Last friday I experienced an interesting effect, one well known by any
that have touched a Van Degraff generator - my hair standing on end.
Only I wasn't within miles of a static electricity generator - but
underneath the HV transmission line feeding the Los Angles area.

My son and I were out exploring the old gold mines in the Victorville
area of So. California and not having much luck (the BLM has filled
most of them in:( blast their hides. The worst part is: that my former
next door neighbor boyhood friend is the one who did it) I stopped on
a "power line road" to fertilize a sage brush and noticed the hair on
my arms standing straight UP! On a clear day! However, because of the
roiling topography of the area I was only about 15 feet below the HI
line. I don't remember the lines being that low when I used to live
there. The power lines were sagging due to the hi current demand? They
were acting as a _hot wire ammeter_? At any rate, I crossed the road
away from the line and stopped feeling the effect, as I walked halfway
across the road towards the lines to reenter the truck my arm hair
again stood on end.

As an aside, take a look at this EStatic problem. Talk about walking
into a wall! BIRDS sticking to the poly film! People having to peel
themselves off an invisable wall...

http://www.esdjournal-dot-com/articles/final/final.htm

Regard,

jim

p.s. I have refound Steve's HV list and will post info like this on
his list in the future.