Re: Strange problem - problem's with running TCs inside

Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Bob:
	I ran into something related to this that might be helpful.

I ran my first two coils inside when I first started, and had no
particular problems other than I always found that my telephone
answering machine was some weird mode after I ran the coils (it
eventually died).

Then a number of months later, my air conditioning stopped
working.  I replaced the relay in the compressor outside the
house and a few weeks later the same relay failed again.

Also, occasionally the 100 amp(!) breaker on the A/C would trip
when I was running my coil ... and it certainly isn't on the same
circuit!

Around the same time, I noticed that there was a really strange
clicking noise coming from the outside whenever I ran my coil,
even at very low power levels.

I tracked the problem down to the fact that the control for my
A/C was inside about 10 feet away from where I was running my
coil.  That control has a FET transistor to drive the 24vdc
to the external compressor relay, and every time my TC
discharged, that stupid FET would close the relay to the
compressor for a moment and immediately open it again!

The failing relays and popping breakers (and strange clicking)
were caused by the high current surges as the compressor motor
was being momentarily started at a few Hz to a few hundred Hz.

It literally burned the contacts off the relays.

The fix?  I now pull the interlock to the compressor before I run
my TCs as well as tape a cookie sheet over the A/C controls (I
very rarely run the TCs inside these days any more).

Of course, it didn't stop there.  The relay for the fan for my
inside A/C and heating just failed a few weeks ago ... for the
very same reason.

Sigh.

Kevin