NST Desaster. HELP!!

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Garry-at-NDFC-dot-com>

Well, I depotted my only working 12/60 NST An Allanson (Bought it in brand
new condition but used) and I immediately set to depotting it and got it all
depotted and brushed down and thick coats of spray on poly and got it
installed and running. Got lovely three foot sparks and I would run it once
and awhile. Well last night desaster struck. The middle of one of the
secondary windings arched out and created a half inch spark to the iron
core, ripping through the insulation that was there like it was saran wrap
and caught the high voltage lead off of it on fire!!

I scrambled all over the place for a screwdriver (I have 8 phillips
screwdrivers but am lucky to find one!) and I find a dinky one and here I am
shaking and fighting to get the case open before it catches fire because if
I have to drag it outside to burn or have to smash it with a hammer, that
will be the END of my tesla coiling when the landlady finds out.

It took me five minutes to get it open while the burning plastic smoke
spewed carbon all over everything and by then the fire had smothered itself
or just died out. Mostly smoke damage inside.

I have dissasembled the NST right down to the lamenations and the shunt
blocks and am now soaking them in mineral spirits. I doubt this is going to
revive the NST as I think it probably has carbon tracking and deposits from
all the smoke all over at least one secondary if not both.

I am very unhappy about this. I have another NST I am depotting of the same
brand and type but I am dubious about it working because one side shows weak
even after depotting. I think it has failed internally.

I know there was at least one person here who collects NST parts and was
wondering if anyone had a secondary off an Allanson 12/60 out there I could
buy?

Or is there a MOT setup I can use with an MMC that is 13 nF capacitance that
might give decent performance. I have no experience with paralleling MOTS
but it probably isn't hard.

Are MOTS tougher than these NST? I am beginning to think NST stands for
Neverending Suicidal Tendancies.

Signed Regretful and sorry as hell he got into this again. As if this will
stop me. ;-P