Re: Average, RMS and Power Factor made easy!

Original poster: "35045 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Darren,
>
> Many thanks for this fine explanation!  I think the area many coiler's have

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. I don't often attempt a tutorial,
but I though it was sorely needed.

> trouble with is that Tesla coil's produce some pretty nasty power problems
> for the "student".  I whipped up a MicroSim analysis of power to an output
> streamer over a single cycle at:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/PowerCalc.gif

Nice. How did you model the streamer? Was it similar to your TC model
presented in one of your papers or a totally different model?

> To the layman, trying to find the delivered power to the streamer from
> these waveforms and the Radio Shack booklet that came with the meter (sorry
> Ted ;-)), you are simply doomed...  Toto, you aren't in Kansas anymore...

Yeah? Well I live in Aus. so it's not so bad for me =)

> Even us with the "EE" brand need some refreshing when it gets to this
> level.  So don't anyone feel bad if they don't get this stuff.  It is nasty
> business and trying to do this stuff by actual measurements gets even worse
> unless you have some big $$$ "stuff" to do it all for you.

Yeah I liked the photos of your $$$ stuff =) I'm hoping to find another
cheap CRO and there you go with yer 'fancy' stuff =) I'm glad you like to
publish your results though... It gives us something to read =)

> Rest assured that no one needs to know any of this to build a fine Tesla
> coil.  Us "big doggy" theoretical folks really get into this stuff because
> that's the way we are (math teacher hit us in head with ruler too many

I personally think that I may have been brainwashed from an early age =)

> times :-)).  Occasionally, we find some wonderful thing that ends up
> helping everybody.  However, 99% of it is math test with little practical
> use.  However, when the going gets rough, we do seem to shine :-)))

I like to think that there is a practical use for everything, if only we
knew what it was...

> One really needs to crack open those college level electrical engineering
> books with the calculus in them to "get" this stuff or have a good teacher
> to explain it.  My sister has a Ph.d in math so I was set (although, I
> taught her everything she knows, so how did she end up smarter than me.
:-)).

=)

> Cheers,
>
> 	Terry (who hasn't rambled in long time :-))
>
> PS - Some people don't like the "over unity" or "free energy" threads.
> However, after the initial "jolt", they really seem to bring out some darn
> good posts...

And get some of us a little upset. Terry knows what I mean =)

Have fun,
Darren Freeman