Primary / Secondary Diameters

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi List,
I posted a few days back a question about primary / secondary diameters for a
bipolar
coil. I am getting ready to form the primary coil for my 48 inch, 4.5 inch
diam bipolar
secondary. Is there a way to determine what the diameter of the primary helix
should be. My experience with a 20 inch bipolar is that the primary can get
no closer than 1.5 inches
from the secondary without arcover. But is this all trial and error, is there
no way to
determine this?

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman