Re: Carbon tracking?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Simon Yorkston by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <quantumx-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>

> Hi all.
> After reading Bart's reply, I was a little curious. I'm not actually sure of
> carbon tracking, so any help / advice about it would be appriciated.
>
> Also mentioned was a secondary short. How woul I go about checking it? [Eg,
> what resistance would a full secondary have / is there another [simplish]
> way to check?]
>
> Thanks for your advice,
> Simon

snipperzz..

Hi Simon...

with the hi voltages produced by T coils and the ocassional arc it will
produce, ( remeber now, the arc in
air is actually ripping electrons off of the air molecules and that
requires alot of heat energy) the arc
as it travels thru the air ( or even better yet across a solid material)
will heat up the surface of the
item it is traveling across ( or thru) this heat will "burn" ( carbonize)
the material in a hurry ... thus
creating a path for the electricity to travel "upon". ( remember your
chemistry  carbon is a really good
conductor in a pure-ish form).  Once the carbon has formed in a surface it
will allow the electricity to
continue to travel there till it either sets the material on fire or shorts
out the circuit.

Sometimes we see a weak spot between the windings ( an air bubble near the
wire varnish etc)  on the
secondaries and the voltage difference between the windings finds this weak
spot and will then degrade the
existing "weakness" into a full blown failure ( a shorted secondary).

the problem with a shorted secondary is that by trying to find it with an
Ohm meter is futile  ( they dont
produce enuf voltage to jump to the next weak spot)  the "short" usually
becomes apparent only when the
coil is running   :(  .

Scot D