Re: Strange problem - problem's with running TCs inside

Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Al:
	The actual power level didn't make any difference.  I was
running at very low to medium-ish levels, from just a few 10's
of watts to a max of about 1kw.

My TC is capable of running continuously from around 1 or 2 BPS
up to 700 BPS and the "clicking relay" symptom happens at all
rates and power levels unless I shield the A/C controls (well,
perhaps the relay couldn't keep up to the higher rates, but it
really tried!).

At no time did I allow any sparks to hit wiring or walls and I
was unable to see or measure any significant induced or coupled
transients to the house wiring.  One time I used a CCD camera
to tape my coil running and I could easily see the BPS rate
in the momentary snow caught on the VCR.  I tried battery power
as well as wall AC without any change in the noise ... very
hard to shield without a good Faraday cage (next time ...).

The only major effect I saw was that things got worse if the
coil was out of tune. Then I had to throw all the A/C breakers
since the cookie sheet wasn't enough.

Kevin

----------
> From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Strange problem - problem's with running TCs inside
> Date: Thursday, January 18, 2001 10:56 AM
>
> Original poster: "Albert Hassick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

> Hi Bob.  What kind of power levels are you running indoors with your
> Tesla that created your motor/contactor woes?   I also have observed
> numerous hits to various wiring in my house, but so far have been lucky.
> Just wondering.  Al.
>
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:37:05 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> writes:
> > Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

<snip>
> > I tracked the problem down to the fact that the control for my
> > A/C was inside about 10 feet away from where I was running my
> > coil.  That control has a FET transistor to drive the 24vdc
> > to the external compressor relay, and every time my TC
> > discharged, that stupid FET would close the relay to the
> > compressor for a moment and immediately open it again!

<snip>