Re: Power Coating Caution (was: RE: Pig Beautification andCraftsmanship)

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>
>
>Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> >
> > Cool pics, I'm suprised the wall was still there.
> >
> > We will NOT be powder-coating the pig. Though our Pig isn't a pressure
> > vessel (there's a poppet valve on ours to vent the air inside when it
>gets
> > warm, must run in a slight vacuum in the winter).
>
>Snipperzzz...
>
>Hi Chris...
>
>you mentioned that you are planning on painting the pig  are you going to
>degut it first ??  :)

Only if I have to. If we bake it, and the time/temp is resonable, it should
be ok, they bake cars everyday there for painting, and they leave everything
indide (battery, engine, etc) without any trouble.

>how much abuse are you going to put the pig thru once its painted ??

he he he...more than it was ever intended for, less than it was ever
designed for. We love our pig, the utility company treats them horribly.
They leave them outside with no shelter for years on end, no love or care.
We have nursed this poor little piggy back to radiant health, and plan on
giving it a healthy, balanced diet of Volts, and Amps while it lives a long
and happy live on a custom built cart. All it needs is a name (and we are
NOT naming it Wilbur).

if
>the abuse is going to be minimal ((
>not going to drag it over concrete when moving it))

he he he, until the cart is made (this week) there is no other way for a
140lbs guy (average weight of any single Geek, regardless of height) to move
a 208Lbs Pig.
It slides nicely on concrete btw.

give it some
>consideration to some of the new automotive
>paints available.  lots of colors to choose from and the new
>basecoat/clearcoats systems are really durable.

That's exactly what we're planning to do. It will be painted in an autobody
shop, after meticulous prep (Porche's do get this much attention). It's
small so everything goes quickly, imagine spending a week just on preparing
a hood to be painted. (AFTER you take all the dents out). It's going to be
beautiful, I should have pics of it painted on the site on Fri, we're
painting it on CarNight.

>you wont have to worry about baking either , the catalysts used in the
>clearcoats make the paint as smooth
>and nearly as hard as glass.

Yup, that's what Dan (the shop owner) said, something about "Hardener" (a
catalyst I assume). We'll paint it in the booth, and only bake it if she
needs it. When done it should have a shine about 3'deep :) Maybe I can even
talk him into using the "Prismatique" paint they used on Geek-3. It's
beautiful, and would make the pig look very unusual.

Thanks for the advice :)

Chris B.