line supply

Original poster: "Bob Kibler by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bkibler-at-quicktel-dot-com>

Coilers,

This suggestion seems obvious, but I was surprised to get maybe a doubled
output from my coil after attending to one thing.

  I have been running two 15/60's in parallel to run a 6" coil, and they
were plugged into an extension cord that ends with a row of receptacles with
a lighted on/off switch.  I think it has #14 wire and is12' long.  It was
plugged into a line with a 15 amp. circuit breaker at the box.  The fact
that the breaker never opened made me believe everything was ok.  It was
just that I was not getting much out of my coil.

Suspicious, I brought 230 vac over to my NST's with a nice heavy duty cable,
a 10-2 w/gnd, and hooked one leg to each transformer.  What a difference it
made!  This is when I realized what an inadequate source I had been using.

Now I think that the previous extension cord was limiting the current draw,
likely heating up in the process, plus my short time coil runs did not
operate the slow acting breaker.  It was possibly a dangerous situation,
too.

Double-check your line supply, so you get full output and safety too.

Bob Kibler