Re: joining stainless steel

Hi Ed,

At 08:41 AM 12/31/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> In the past, I have simply dropped by the local welding shop and they MIG
>> weld small simple SS things for a small simple fee.
>>
>> However, I have another idea.  For my terminals that have current probes in
>> them, I need to open them up once in a great while to change the batteries.
>>  I simply use copper foil RF EMI tape as sold by Digi-Key (Part# 3M1181A-ND
>> 1/4 inch wide $10.29 for 16.46 meters (must be metric :-))).  They also
>> have 1/2 and 1 inch for proportionally more cash.  The stuff works great.
>>
>> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/ctape.jpg
>>
>> Terminals to be joined:
>> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/start.jpg
>>
>> Results:
>> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/done.jpg
>> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/done2.jpg
>>
>> This may also help connect those aluminum tape strips on toroids although
>> the aluminum oxide layer on the tape may be a factor there.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>         Terry
>
>	The copper tape is much the best, of course, since it has conductive
>adhesive.  Think there are a bunch of fine wires embedded in the
>adhesive which manage to bridge the gap.  Stuff works great from DC to
>light, but it IS expensive.  I have found that at local swap meets there
>is often some guy selling the stuff, and have picked up 2" wide rolls
>for 5 bucks on occasion.  Only problem with it is that it doesn't look
>nice on any "silvery" colored metal object.  One other problem, come to
>think of it, is that the edges are VERY sharp and you can cut yourself
>to pieces with it, even if you are pretty careful.
>
>Ed

I forgot to mention that I smooth the tape down with a cloth.  The tape
stretches a bit and forms very well.  This gives a very smooth appearance
and pushes the edges down flat very well.  One does have to be a bit
careful of the edges when applying the tape.  The copper seems to stay very
bright for a long time and "I" think it looks fine on metal but to each
their own. :-)

Cheers,

	Terry