Re: joining stainless steel

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>
> In the past, I have simply dropped by the local welding shop and they MIG
> weld small simple SS things for a small simple fee.
>
> However, I have another idea.  For my terminals that have current probes in
> them, I need to open them up once in a great while to change the batteries.
>  I simply use copper foil RF EMI tape as sold by Digi-Key (Part# 3M1181A-ND
> 1/4 inch wide $10.29 for 16.46 meters (must be metric :-))).  They also
> have 1/2 and 1 inch for proportionally more cash.  The stuff works great.
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/ctape.jpg
>
> Terminals to be joined:
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/start.jpg
>
> Results:
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/done.jpg
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/done2.jpg
>
> This may also help connect those aluminum tape strips on toroids although
> the aluminum oxide layer on the tape may be a factor there.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

	The copper tape is much the best, of course, since it has conductive
adhesive.  Think there are a bunch of fine wires embedded in the
adhesive which manage to bridge the gap.  Stuff works great from DC to
light, but it IS expensive.  I have found that at local swap meets there
is often some guy selling the stuff, and have picked up 2" wide rolls
for 5 bucks on occasion.  Only problem with it is that it doesn't look
nice on any "silvery" colored metal object.  One other problem, come to
think of it, is that the edges are VERY sharp and you can cut yourself
to pieces with it, even if you are pretty careful.

Ed