Re: joining stainless steel

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steve Cook by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Steve-at-g8cyerichmond.freeserve.co.uk>

> I have just found some stainless steel rimless bowls, the sides are almost
> vertical. The metal is about .5mm thick. My idea is to use a pair to make an
> oblate spheroid top terminal for a coil. Can anybody give me an idea as
to how
> I might a pair together rim to rim.

Hi Steve .....

I too had tried the Stainless bowl toroid. My final method of securing the
two parts together was to cut a piece of
1/2" plywood to fit the inside of the bowl at the edge of the lip ( I used
the bowl lip as a drawing aid to make
the circle). I cut the plywood and then sanded it till it just fit the bowl
but leaving 1/2 of the plywood
thickness above the bowl. ( this allows enuf wood exposed to attach the
other bowl to) I then drilled holes in the
bowls at the edges for some #6 wood screws. I installed the screws in an
alternating manner ( top/bottom) to secure
the 2 bowls to the plywood.( be sure to mount your main attachment bolt in
the bottom bowl for secondary coil
attachment first) You can file the major portion of the screw heads off for
a cleaner look and reduced the chances
of streamer "propigation points".

Stainless at that thickness is hard to weld without blowing holes in it and
if you did manage to get to hold with
welding, the weld points become distorded making for a "lumpy" look.

Scot D