Re: Ragowski(sp?) coils

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Terry,

Try Rogowski coil. Since the output is a derivative function of the
current being measured, you'll need to process the output of the
Rogowski coil through an integrator in order to restore the underlying
current waveform. In principle it's simple - in practice it's is fairly
complex, especially for high speed measurements. I was looking at using
one of these to measure 100 kA currents in the quarter shrinker awhile
back, but decided to use a current viewing resistor instead.

Anyway, some good sources of info include:
http://www.pemuk-dot-com/
http://ourworld-top.cs-dot-com/Rocoil2/index.htm

Pearson also makes wideband current transformers, but they use "black
magic" instead of using a Rogowski coil... :^)

Good luck!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman