RE: There is no 'best ' wire size, all things are equal.

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Albert -

You have proven that successful Tesla coils can be designed and built
without computers and that is how they have been built for almost a hundred
years. So why use a computer program?

There are many reasons for using a computer program but I like to use it for
"what if" answers. You can obtain the answer much faster compared to using
manual calculations. Many more design possibilities can now be explored to
make better coils. I have endevored to make the JHCTES programs produce the
maximum amount of output information with the minimum number of carefully
selected inputs to facilitate these new designs.

You are correct in saying that it takes a little amount of horse sense to
get useful data out of the program. I started working on my programs over 10
years ago and thought by now there would be a ton of TC programs on the
market. However, I admit it is much more fun making the sparks than trying
to get a program to work without bugs. There is much more work to be done to
improve TC programming and some day a coiler will bring out the super TC
program. Will that take all the fun out of coiling?

John Couture