Re: NST Death

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>
<SNIP>

> Can someone explain to me why ARSGs are so bad for trannies? Robert Krampf
> does shows with his NST powered coil, and uses an ARSG! He's done this for
> years with the same NST.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Jonathon Reinhart
> hometown.aol-dot-com/kidd6488/tesla

Jonathon,

If you use an Async gap with a sufficient number of electrodes, and make
sure that you always rotate it at a sufficiently high speed, you'll always
get gap presentations before dangerous tank circuit voltages can build up.
The key is to make sure that if the gap fails to fire on a given
presentation, that it will always fire on the NEXT presentation, and that
this will always occur before the tank cap voltage can build to an
unacceptably high value. So, assuming your async always ran at an average
of 4 (or more) presentations/AC mains cycle, you should be OK. As an added
precaution, you can bridge the ASRG with a static gap.

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering