Re: NST Death

In a message dated 7/13/01 12:21:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Can someone explain to me why ARSGs are so bad for trannies? Robert Krampf
>  does shows with his NST powered coil, and uses an ARSG! He's done this for
>  years with the same NST.
>
>  ---------------------------------------
>  Jonathon Reinhart

Jonathon,

This subject has been discussed in numerous posts over the last
few years.  Basically, the ARSGs tend to destroy feeble xfrmers
such as nst's and obit's.  Pigs, PT's, MOT's etc, can withstand
ARSGs.  NST's can also withstand ARSG's if they are carefully
built, and run carefully.  The reason ARSGs destroy nst's is
because sometimes they let the voltage to too high for the
nst.  Whether or not the voltage goes too high depends on
the cap size and break-rate combo.  For example, if an LTR
sized cap is used, then the voltage will tend not to go too high.
Also, a too-low bps should not be used, esp with matched cap
sizes.  A good NST protection network is helpful too.

Also, if the NST with ARSG is deliberately run at a low
"efficiency", giving much shorter sparks than possible for the
NST, this will help to save the NST also.

John Freau