Re: Ion Motors / Electrostatic Pendulum

Hello Chris,

On 17 Jul 01, at 12:12, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> > > Original poster: "Matthew Inman by way of Terry Fritz
> ><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <twycross3-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> Can also be used on a
> >	Tesla coil (below breakout).
>
> "Ay, there's the rub"
>
> None of the coils the Group has ever made are capable of a "Before Breakout"
> condition. Every bang of the spark gap results in breakout, every time. The
> breakout may be really short (Depending on tune). But our coil has a 1/2turn
> area of tune so it's either all or nothing. We've never had a situation
> where it was properly setup and didn't have streamers, even if they were
> only 5BPS as we turned the variac up.

Every coil ever made is capable of operating in a "before breakout"
condition. Dead simple to do. Just close the gap up until the primary
energy falls below that required to generate enough voltage in the
secondary to allow breakout. A dramatic demonstration of this was the
sshot testing of Electrum. From memory the figures were: Vp = 34kV;
no breakout. 35kV; 7 foot air streamers.  There is much to be learned
by operating a coil in both modes and observing the results on a
storage scope.

Regards,
malcolm