Modulation

Hi all,
         I've had this crazy idea kicking around for several years
and done nothing about it so I thought I'd put it to the list before
someone else did. It was sparked (npi) by my thinking about the
sideband issue which I replied to the other day.

     The nub of the idea is to audio modulate a sparkgap coil. Sounds
crazy, right? (NY parlance ;)  Thinking about it resulted in this
train of thought: we know that the coupling constant and resonant
frequency of the coil sets the sideband frequencies. We also know
that k is a pure function of geometry. That suggests that the only
way to alter the sideband frequencies (by proxy the modulation
frequency) is to alter k, in other words, mechanically alter the
proximity/positioning of the secondary relative to the primary. That
amounts to moving the secondary with some kind of voicecoil
arrangement (possibly using turns on the secondary itself as the
motor winding).
     BUT, if there was some other way k could be altered that didn't
involve moving one of the coils, the goal could be met. If it could
be done, one would want air streamers only from the secondary to
largely preserve the loaded Q of the system. Sort of a giant ion
speaker. Inserting a third coil coupled to the pri-sec with its
would alter Ksys which wouldn't be terribly desirable. Question -
does such an arrangement alter K or does it just alter M?

     Any ideas from the mathematicians on the list?

Malcolm