Re: NorCal Teslathon -- Interesting Devices and Effects

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

The better/more-common the grounds the more this kind of thing will be
seen to happen.  It's nothing more than EM coupling of 1 coil to the
other.  When they're near enough in Fr & near enough together it can
happen.  And it will be much more evident before spark break-out since
that's when the "sending" coil is radiating the most EMF.

Ken Herrick

http://fp2.hughes-dot-net/brianb/images/Tesla/Pictures/022099/ross-basura1.jp

> We also witnessed this same effect during the 1999 SC Teslathon (to
> the
> surprise of a couple coilers who approached their coil while it was
> de-energized but another coil was running). At this time we were
> using a
> common ground point with some coil grounds daisy-chained. The coils
> were
> also much closer together.
> http://fp2.hughes-dot-net/brianb/newpage11.htm
>
> I was not aware of this happening at the 2000 SC Teslathon. There
> were two
> changes which could have prevented it from occurring. First the
> coils were
> spaced much further apart. Second, we had installed an extensive
> multi point
> ground system  where all the ground rods were tied together and a
> large
> ground buss ran by each coil. There were no daisy-chained grounds I
> was
> aware of.  http://fp2.hughes-dot-net/brianb/2000.htm
>
> Not sure this is of any assistance but I thought I'd share it.
>
> Regards,
> Brian B.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.