Ballasting question

Original poster: "Michael O. Poley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mpoley-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Okay, since I got such a fast response on the other question, let me ask
this...

Can someone explain the theory and practice of "ballasting"?  I'm familiar
enough with the physics behind the Tesla coil, but the term has been
bandied about a lot and I haven't seen anything explaining what exactly
ballasting is nor when it should be done, and when it is acceptable to
overlook it.

Mike

Michael O. Poley
mpoley-at-mindspring-dot-com