Re: Ballasting question

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Michael O. Poley by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mpoley-at-mindspring-dot-com>

> Okay, since I got such a fast response on the other question, let me ask
> this...
>
> Can someone explain the theory and practice of "ballasting"?  I'm familiar
> enough with the physics behind the Tesla coil, but the term has been
> bandied about a lot and I haven't seen anything explaining what exactly
> ballasting is nor when it should be done, and when it is acceptable to
> overlook it.
>
> Mike
>
> Michael O. Poley
> mpoley-at-mindspring-dot-com

Hi Michael...

ballasting is a term used to imply a method of reducing current thru a
circuit. In a DC application
resistors are commonly used to reduce the current in the line of that
portion of the curciut. ( kinda like
putting a valve on a water hose, it reduces the amount of water flow ((
current))  on the other side of
the valve)
In the AC application... inductors or capacitors can be used to alter the
current flow in the line. Maybe
some one else can describe the volt/current wave form better but ill give
it a feeble attempt...

in an unrestricted AC system current flow with a resistive load only (
theoretically) the Volt wave form
and current wave form ride on top of each other.  When an inductive or
capacitive load is present, the
Volt wave form and current waveform begin to shift away from each other (
dont remember which way which
one does) but as they shift apart, the current leads or trails the voltage
thus allowing for a reduced
amount of current at that specific voltage...  throw in alot of trig and a
few doses of calculus and you
can find the power anywhere along the curve ( waveform)

In an inductor, the AC waveform sets up a magnetic field that semi
magnitizes the core and as the voltage
begins to go to the reverse, the existing magnetic field opposes the new
incoming opposite magnetic field.
This opposition of magnetic fields in the core and surrounding area of the
inductor is what causes the
waveform to shift...  thus acting like a resistance in the line.   well
thats the way i see it :) ...

Scot D