Re: Ionosphere (etc) Re: Ion Motors / Electrostatic Pendulum

> The presence of 'something conducting' could be (and was)
> inferred by Tesla and others.  Estimates of the 8.mumble
> freq (now called the Schumann resonance) appear in the
> literature from 1890 or thereabouts.

mmm.. the 7.xxx or 8.xxxx comes from a simple calculation of the time for
light (or em waves) to go around the earth.. 3E8/40E6....

I note also that the resonance is pretty low Q, because not only is the
earth not a sphere (which Tesla certainly knew..) but the propagation
velocity is nowhere near constant on all paths, particularly over the poles
(which Tesla probably did NOT know)..

However, if you hook up a suitable receiver and look at the power spectrum
of the noise in the band from, say, 5 to 10 Hz, you'll see the bump.. The
basically continuous lightning excites the resonance...