Re: Ionosphere (etc) Re: Ion Motors / Electrostatic Pendulum

Hi Dave,

On 21 Jul 01, at 22:09, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

> > Hi Mike, Ben, All,
> >       Since Lightning is a phenomenon of the troposphere BELOW the
> > tropopause (below 50,000ft ~15-18 km) and since the ionosphere begins ABOVE
> > the mesopause (above 260,000ft ~80-85 km) what is the transport
mechanism for
> > the forty or so miles ~60-65 km) in between the two?
>
> 	Tesla likely was unaware, as they've been discovered only in the
> 	last decade or so, but 'sprites' and 're jets', both odd
> 	discharges in the atmsophere, invisible from the ground, not
> 	noticed until the Shuttle crews spotted them.

I think also that some pilots (military, airline) also saw them
before they were officially "discovered". While flying to LA at night
recently, I was lucky enough to see one. Totally unexpected. I had a
hood over my head and was peering out at some distant thunderstorms
over the Pacific when a red, upward-travelling glow above a strike
caught my eye. Faint but noticeable.

Regards,
Malcolm