Re: Hood Ornament - General paranoia

>Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><presence-at-churchofinformationwarfare-dot-org>
>
>Come on. You folks are too paranoid.

As a rule, yes, and with good reason. Some of us do this for a living. I'm
the guy who started this thread in the first place. I'm also not a casual
backyard coiler, I don't have the luxury of being able to bend the rules
like a lot of the people on this list. But I don't fit into the Pro-Coiler
realm with TTR and kVA either, we're pretty much on our own.

I proposed the idea as an attention getter, not a theft deterrent. Anyone
who wants Geek-3, and can get it started, can have it. The car itself is a
theft deterrent, there are only 2 people who know the right switches to
start it, and it's impossible to hotwire unless you happen to have some
serious tools and wire in your pocket. Check the website to learn more, but
suffice it to say that a TC on Geek-3 as a hood ornament may actually go
unnoticed, the car is that unusual.

The Pro Coilers have INCREDIBLE insurance (so do I, but our's is different)
abd horrid rules they have to follow just to stay alive in a firce business.
You couldn't pay me enough to go into that line of work. They DO get to play
with the biggest coils since Nick himself, but the work that goes into it
doesn't justify it for me. And how many Electrums are you gonna sell in a
lifetime? They work a delicate balance that I'm not brave enough to walk,
and it would probably take only one serious accident, involving a couple
fatalities to put any one of them out of business. Especially if it were an
audience member.

I'd like to add the odds on that happening are astronomical. You stand a
better chance of getting hit by REAL lightning, lol

Now with us (The Group) it's different. We have all the HV goodies and toys
the same as the Big guys. Our's arent as big (yet) but I'm working on it and
Donations are always appreciated,(shameless plug). The thing is, our 10kVA
pig is just as deadly as the power supply for Electrum or the 13M, dead is
dead, voltage doesn't matter. And I have to insure know-nothing KIDS for
playing with it, not veteran trained professionals. I live in constant fear
of anyone, staff, students, parents, whatever getting hurt. The
reprocussions a fatality, or even a serious zap are unimagineable. I'd loose
my entire life at 26. That's why there's noone else on Earth doing what
we're doing in the Group. That's what makes us special, we take the risk,
becuase the rewards are worth it. Where else on Earth can you go and take a
class on Tesla Coils? Anyone else got a megavolt 2-ton Marx bank that you
can work on without being a grad student? That's the idea.

So yeah, we're paranoid, and with good reason. It keeps us alive, and the
hobby as safe as it possibly can be. This is a VERY unforgiving passtime,
and we have 3 fatalities in 100 years, more people die playing Frisbee. :)

God, I sound like my dad.............

You can grab the output of a small coil
>with your bare hand. A car is probably a better ground than a person. I
>doubt you would get some killer shock from touching the vehicle.

I get bit touching Geek-3 as it is.....it's holding a charge for some reason
since the new wheels and tires went on last week and they jump a full half
inch! It's just static, dut MAN it's like an unpowered secondary bite!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

>CO2 fire extinguishers can give you nasty shock. Big deal.

never had one from those, and I play with them a LOT...hmmmmmm

>KEN

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek