Tungsten

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi all,

This morning I make an experiment with tungsten, see the link:

http://pages.infinit-dot-net/luc2/tungsten.jpg

It supposed to be very brittle, it is, I put the 1/8 welding rod
in a wise and try to bend it with a wise grip, it snap like glass
( see the right end of the rod in the photo ) but if you heat it
to yellow  you easily bend it. I use an oxyethylene torch but you
probably could reach this temperature with a brazing torch.

I think it's opening a lot of possibility for making spark gap.
Ex: you could easily make ring of tungsten and brazed them on a
copper pipe fitting for holding them and heatsinking.

I hope it could be useful for some of you.

Cheers,

Luc Benard