Re: small TC results/observations

> BTW what length arcs does that other newer(?) formula you use give for a
>  7500/30 NST at 120 bps?
>
>  Thanks,
>  John M.

John, all,

I thought this may be of general interest to the list.

If we assume that 120 volts is fed to the NST using an LTR
value cap, then the original equation gives 25.5" spark length
as we know.

original equation is:

  spark length inches = 1.7*sqrt input power (wallplug watts)

The new equation which attempts to correct for breakrate is:

  spark length inches = (3.9*16rt power*sqrt power)/4rtBPS

This gives around 24.8"

I'm not entirely satisfied with the new equation.  The root used
for the BPS should probably be something like 3.4rt, but I
used 4rt for simplicity.  If the root is changed, the factor
needs to be changed too.

John Freau