Quantifying Safety

Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi All,

Regarding the 'thread that would not die'...

I've been mulling over just how one might go about proving that a given
Tesla Coil scenario is 'safe', here in the litigious USA.  For instance,
would it be sufficient to show that the coil system in question met the
NEC codes and FCC regs?  Or might there be other regulatory guidelines
involved?  OSHA?  AMA?  ICBO?
For Electrum I used the Dept of Energy guidelines for 'The Control of
Hazardous Energy'.  Fortunately, New Zealand has a rather enlightened
view on Tort Laws, and abolished most of them in the early 70's.  I only
had to show the inspector from Power New Zealand that all the HV
equipment (<44kV) had fail-safe personnel and machine interlocks before
they would hook it up to the grid.
Anyone out there with a legal background in these matters, or experience
in the amusement park biz, perhaps?
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org