RE: Isolation transformer on eBay

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Luc,

One not of caution on that Elcor Isoformer.  I was running with my TC with
my little switch box plugged into the Isoformer and my NST plugged into the
switch box.  I noticed a electrical tingle from the switch box.  (I had been
running with another isolation transformer with variac that I have built
into a box but the 9 amp breaker kept going off.)  I measured the voltage to
ground, case of the Isoformer to the switch box, using the meter probe to
depress the pushbutton. Measured around 600 volts to ground.  Turns out that
the outlet ground in the Isoformer is connected to a wire that goes into the
secondary, but nowhere else.  I am not sure what to think about that.  I now
have the outlet ground grounded to the mains ground.  On the other hand, I
may have the ideal break between RF ground and mains ground.  If the outlet
ground is wired to something in the secondary and that ground was wired to
RF ground (somewhere near the NST), the entire NST, ground and all, would be
isolated from the mains.  I may try that with an MOV across the NST power
lines and an MOV from each line to RF ground.

I haven't liked the RF ground of the NST before, but with this idea, I'll
try it.

Regards,

Pete